Spartan Race, My Road to Fitness Journey

Many of you have been asking how I lost weight and managed to tone my muscles over time. But the real question is, how long have I been trying to exercise religiously and watch what I eat every time I try to lose weight.

Fitness App, Diet Meals, Calorie Counting, Supplements, Gym Memberships, you name it. I think I tried everything but for some reason, the numbers don't add up. I hate how I look. I hate how my legs and thighs are so thick and my stomach bulges. There were times that I would want to wear something nice and flattering but I easily change my mind because I get too insecure. Most of those times I decide to change to a more comfortable clothing like jeans and shirt that hides the love handles and my lumba lumba thighs.

I couldn't blame anyone but me because no matter how much I paid for the gym membership, and spend my money over food supplements and watch my calorie intake it wouldn't be enough. Because I lack of persistence and discipline.

Last November 2017, I hated how I look. It came to a point that I get easily irritated and offended when people notice my weight gain. Truthfully, I was thick and that truth hurts. I am 5'3 and I'm weighing 165-170 lbs at an average at the final quarter of last year.

The first step to my fitness journey was to do something different from our routine so I decided to join the Spartan Race. I got more motivated in training and losing weight because there was a reason to. I felt more competitive after paying almost Php4,000 for the race. Haha! (Sayang naman kung di ako mag effort diba?)

Instead of our daily monotonous running and light lifting every day, I tried boxing with personalized Spartan Race training. I enrolled at Elorde Boxing Gym in Starmall Mandaluyong having RenRen as my coach with the goal of not only losing weight but finishing the race.

Their equipment at their gym wasn't enough so he referred me to Tiger City Mandaluyong Gym for a more focused and thorough training in preparation for the race. I only had 3 months to train for this. My coach's goal was, "Kailangan mong mabuhat ang katawan mo Ma'am para matapos mo yung race." 

Meaning...

I have to lose weight.

That wasn't only the goal though. The goal is to also finish the race. I wasn't competing with anyone but myself.

 



                     


I was coached by Tex Gonzaga, who is also the head coach of the Tiger City Gym. I kid you not, their daily work out is out of this world. You can check the WOD on my insta highlights at kayemangabat.

Make sure to drink lots of water and eat well before you work out at Tiger so you'll have enough energy to fuel your body for the session. It usually take me 1.5 - 2 hours to finish a WOD. My coach was very focused and determined to shed off some excess fats and turn them into muscles. We were so energized every time we work out because the gym are composed of individuals with one goal. The coaches will push you to finish just so you'll get to your goal. They will cheer you up every time you feel like you can't do it anymore. 

One thing I learned when enrolling to a gym, find a coach who will be as focused and determined as you. 




This was my body transformation at the end of January 2018, 4 weeks of training in Tiger to be exact. I was in Korea for 2 weeks so it was a challenge for me to watch my diet and exercise. But I always do 100 push ups and 100 squats in a day for 4 consecutive days while I was there because my body was yearning for exercise. And I was really anxious of gaining my weight back. This body was a result of 4-5 days of working out in a week for over a month under the supervision of Coach Tex. Whenever I feel lazy to go and work out I always chat my coach and ask him our WOD first. And whenever he replies, "Madali lang Ma'am. Tara na!" I get energized. Haha! This kind of coaching and motivating worked for me.



















These pictures were taken a day before the race. My face shrunk, my shoulders are more define. I noticed that muscles are building up on my thighs and my waist was down to 28 inches from 31. Unfortunately, I got into an accident last March. My back snapped and I was hospitalized for a month. I was advised not to lift anymore until my body recover. 

I just actually came back from my check up with my doctor today because my back is bulging again and it developed a lump. Sometimes it's very uncomfortable to sleep or move or just walk for hours. So I was advised not to do anything strenuous. My doctor also said I'm not allowed to run for the moment until my back heals. :(

Given that, I currently watch the food I eat for I couldn't exercise for now. I was also advised not to lift anything heavy (including bags) nor to do any strenuous things, even light exercises like push ups, sit ups, etc. Just walking. 



        

This is my current body. My current weight is 142lbs. Sometimes 145lbs pag busog. Hehe! I'm now size small (coming from large) and my waist line is 26 inches. My goal weight is 132 lbs. Meaning, I have a loooong way to go. But I chose this lifestyle so I plan to keep at it.

I try to keep a healthy diet and monitor my weight every 2 weeks because I couldn't work out just yet. I eat red rice instead of white. I incorporated more veggies on the food I eat and cook my own food instead of eating outside. I rarely eat fast food also just to manage my weight. Honestly, it's difficult. Especially when I'm not exercising. But most of the time I ask myself, "Kaye, how much do you want this?" Because at the end of the day, no matter what your goal is, in fitness, in career or in life in general, it's always a question of; How much do you want it? (and) What are you going to do about it? 

If I haven't answered your questions from this blog post, you may send me a message through the comment section and I'd be happy to reply to all of it. Disclaimer though, I am not a fitness professional nor a nutritionist, only a fitness enthusiast. So what worked for me might not work for you. I'm only here to answer questions like, "paano ka pumayat?", "anong ginawa mo?", "saan ka nag work out?", "sino ang coach mo at paano ko sila makokontak?" etc. etc. 


PS
I intentionally didn't edit any of the photos but the last one (B&W) because I want it as raw and genuine as possible. ☺️

Comments

Popular Posts